The Ploughshares Fund board of directors recently awarded $1.3 million in new grants to 21 organizations working to reduce nuclear risks and prevent conflict in regions where nuclear weapons exist.
“The new administration means we will have additional opportunities to elevate these objectives in the executive branch, among newly elected officials, and with the public," said Ploughshares Fund President Emma Belcher. "We must continue to develop champions dedicated to transforming nuclear policy and ensure the field is fully resourced in support of these aims. Our investments are all working to shape and install a bold vision for nuclear policy."
A new grant to the Center for American Progress will support efforts to restart substantive negotiations with North Korea, while a grant to the European Leadership Network will engage European leaders on key issues related to the Iran deal.
Grants to Arms Control Association, Federation of American Scientists, and the Cato Institute will support analysis of US nuclear weapons policy, including engaging Russia on arms control. “We are thinking big about the world we want to see, while making sure these aspirations are connected to our everyday policy work,” said Director of Programs Michelle Dover.
Ploughshares Fund awards grants to reduce the number of nuclear weapons, prevent the emergence of new nuclear states and build regional security where nuclear weapons exist. A complete list of grants for fiscal year 2020 is available on our website.
Organizations that received grants at the November 2020 board meeting include:
- Arms Control Association
- Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists
- CATO Institute
- Center for American Progress
- Center for a New American Security
- European Leadership Network
- Federation of American Scientists
- Friends Committee on National Legislation
- Herbert Scoville Jr. Peace Fellowship
- Inkstick Media
- International Crisis Group
- National Committee on North Korea
- Nuclear Watch New Mexico
- Peace Direct
- President and Fellows of Middlebury College
- National Iranian American Council
- NIAC Action
- Quincy Institute for Responsible Statecraft
- ReThink Media
- Women’s Action for New Directions
- Women’s Action for New Directions Education Fund