We believe everyone has the right to a safe and secure future
For 40 years Ploughshares Fund has supported the most effective people and organizations in the world to reduce and eventually eliminate the dangers posed by nuclear weapons.
Our grantees, partners and community have made significant progress in cutting risks and reducing nuclear weapons stockpiles since their peak in the 1980s.
Together, we can finish the job. Together, we can put an end to one of the greatest threats to our planet—and to future generations.
Our impact today is greater than it's ever been – but enormous risks remain.
The Cold War is long over
But Its Nuclear Threats Live On
Did you know?
- Since 1993, there have been 454 confirmed incidents of illegal possession, smuggling, purchasing, or selling of nuclear or otherwise radioactive materials.
- The US President has the absolute and total authority to order a nuclear attack. Neither Congress nor any other governmental authority has oversight over a launch decision.
- There are still over 13,000 nuclear weapons left on the planet; over 90% are in the US and Russia, with the remainder in China, France, India, Israel, North Korea, Pakistan and the United Kingdom.
- There have been dozens of nuclear false alarms, yet the president has a mere 10 minutes to decide whether to launch an attack when an incoming strike is reported.
Nuclear weapons do nothing to protect us from 21st century threats. Yet the US government is planning to spend $2 trillion over the next 30 years to rebuild our arsenal—plans that could push Russia, China and other countries to build even more nuclear weapons.
“Far from continuing the nuclear disarmament that has been underway for the last two decades, we are starting a new nuclear arms race.”
—William J. Perry, Former Secretary of Defense, November 2015
Ploughshares Fund's Unique Approach
Ploughshares Fund’s unique approach to grantmaking—crafted, tested and refined over the past 40 years—has delivered the best returns for peace and security time and again:
“I think most people have an inherent desire to make the world a better place. The question is how? How do you spend your time, how do you spend your money to be effective? That’s where Ploughshares came in for me.”
—Michael Douglas, actor and United Nations Messenger of Peace
“Thank you to Ploughshares for everything you do, because we couldn't do this inside work without you.”
—Representative Barbara Lee (D-CA)
“These weapons aren't just city destroyers; they're humanity destroyers. And we cannot wait to act.”
—Beatrice Fihn, Executive Director of the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN), the 2017 Nobel Peace Prize-winning campaign coalition
“The Cold War may be over, but the threat to our security posed by nuclear and other weapons of mass destruction has only been reduced, not ended.”
—Madeleine Albright, 64th Secretary of State of the United States
“Thank you, Ploughshares Fund, for all your efforts to realize our dream of a world free of nuclear weapons.”
—Ban Ki-Moon, Secretary General of the United Nations (Photo credit: The Official CTBTO Photostream)
“Eliminating the threat of nuclear weapons is a huge task. It will require smart advocates, innovative approaches and some real credibility. That’s what Ploughshares Fund can bring to the table.”
—Eric Schlosser, renowned author of the best-selling book on nuclear risks, Command and Control
“Thank you for your outstanding support of the Iran nuclear deal. Ploughshares made a huge difference, and the world will be safer for it!”
—Barack Obama, 44th President of the United States
Outsized ability to effect change
Ploughshares Fund has:
We recently ran a five-year, $12 million campaign to forge a diplomatic solution to the Iran nuclear crisis.
Our network of 85 organizations and 200 individuals—think tanks, media specialists, policy advocates, grassroots campaigners and many more—prevailed despite a fierce and well-financed opposition. The historic agreement of 2015 rolled back Iran’s nuclear program and prevented another war in the Middle East.
Our path forward is clear:
- Prevent a war with Iran in the wake of the US violation of the Iran nuclear agreement while supporting congressional and European efforts to sustain the agreement.
- Support diplomacy with North Korea to reduce tensions, avoid war and roll back its nuclear weapons program and maintain peace on the Korean Peninsula.
- Lead a coordinated effort to prevent a new nuclear arms race, blocking new nuclear weapons in our own country and working with our allies to freeze and cut nuclear arsenals in other nations.
- Address the root causes of conflict in regions at risk of nuclear war, such as South Asia, where tensions remain high between nuclear-armed India and Pakistan.
Together, we make a difference
Only together can we rid the planet of nuclear threats. We can’t do it alone. Our supporters have been indispensable partners over the past 39 years. And as a public foundation, we’re accountable for every dollar spent in this effort. So please join us in making sure we are all safe from nuclear weapons today, tomorrow and for generations to come.
"Nuclear deterrence and the threat of mutually assured destruction cannot be the basis for an ethics of fraternity and peaceful coexistence among peoples and states. The youth of today and tomorrow deserve far more."
— Pope Francis, 2015