Research Assistant Internship
Ploughshares Fund is seeking a full-time research assistant intern. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, conducting research on arms control and international security, co-editing Early Warning, drafting op-eds, articles, blogs and other publications, assisting with social media and aiding in the daily operations of the Ploughshares Fund Washington, DC office.
The intern will report to the Policy Associate and is expected to work a minimum of 30 hours per week. Start and finish dates can be flexible to academic schedules. A modest stipend will be provided.
• Provide research support to the President, Director of Policy and Policy Associate.
• Assist the communications team with publishing of Ploughshares Fund’s bi-weekly news aggregator, Early Warning.
• Monitor relevant policy and legislative developments.
• Draft op-eds and conduct research for the policy team, and assist with organizational media preparation.
• Support the Policy Associate in events, meetings and general office administration.
• Attend grantee and policy events as requested and prepare summary briefs/blogs.
• Perform other duties as necessary.
• Exemplary written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to learn and keep abreast of arms control and nonproliferation policy.
• Demonstrated proficiency in internet research.
• Exceptional organizational skills and extraordinary attention to detail.
• Willingness to work in a deadline-driven environment and handle multiple priorities in an efficient manner.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office software and Mac OSX.
• Flexibility, good judgment, positive attitude and sense of humor.
• Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree or candidacy highly preferred.
• Strong background in national security, arms control and nonproliferation is highly preferred.
• Experience working or interning in Congress is highly preferred.
Please send a cover letter, resume, brief writing sample (500 words or less), availability and contact information for three references to Meghan McCall at firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon selection for a 1st interview, we’ll likely require a further writing sample.