Joseph Cirincione is president of Ploughshares Fund, a global security foundation. He is the author of the books Nuclear Nightmares: Securing the World Before It Is Too Late, Bomb Scare: The History and Future of Nuclear Weapons and Deadly Arsenals: Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Threats. He has worked on nuclear weapons policy in Washington for over 35 years and is considered one of the top experts in the field. He served previously as vice president for national security at the Center for American Progress, director for non-proliferation at Carnegie Endowment, and senior associate at Stimson. He worked for nine years as professional staff on the U.S. House of Representatives Committees on Armed Services and Government Operations. He played a critical role is securing the historic accord with Iran that blocked that nation's pathways to a nuclear bomb. He is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and a former member of the International Security Advisory Board for Secretaries of State John Kerry and Hillary Clinton. He also teaches at the Georgetown University Graduate School of Foreign Service.
Cirincione is an MSNBC nuclear security expert and his commentary has been featured in The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times, The Boston Globe, The Philadelphia Inquirer, The Financial Times, Kyodo News, Moscow Times, Foreign Policy, The Hill, Daily Beast, and Huffington Post.
- Pompeo's Secret Korea Trip May Not Save His Nomination, But It Could Save Trump's Summit, Defense One, April 18, 2018.
- Trump’s Silence On A Saudi Nuclear Bomb, LobeLog, March 30, 2018.
- Selling Saudis The Nuclear Rope To Hang US, LobeLog, March 2, 2018.
- Putin Just Gave Trump the Arms Race He Sought, Defense One, March 1, 2018.
- Ending Gender Shunning, Center for a New American Security, February 13, 2018.
- Nuclear Nuts: Trump’s New Policy Hypes The Threat and Brings Us Closer to War, Defense One, February 2, 2018.
- Hawaii’s Nuclear Wakeup Call (and Why We Should Take MLK’s Advice), Defense One, January 14, 2018.
- North and South Korea Have a Breakthrough. What Next?, The National Interest, January 9, 2018.
- Just why Trump's North Korea tweet is so dangerously destabilizing, New York Daily News, January 4, 2018.
- Last Year’s Top 5 Worst Nuclear Nightmares (That Aren’t Going Away), DefenseOne, December 27, 2017.
- Why the Patriot Missile Might Fail America's Military, The National Interest, December 6, 2017.
- North Korea’s New Missile Is a Game-Changer, DefenseOne, December 5, 2017.
- A Plea For Common Sense On Missile Defense, LobeLog, October 18, 2017.
- Trump’s horrifying Iran deal gambit, New York Daily News, October 8, 2017.
- No, We Cannot Shoot Down North Korea’s Missiles, DefenseOne, September 17, 2017.
- How Trump Could Start a Nuclear War and How We Can Stop Him, HuffPost, August 24, 2017.
Recent Media Appearances
- Nuclear Analyst: N. Korea is calling the shots before the summit, MSNBC, April 21, 2018.
- The 11th Hour with Brian Williams, MSNBC, April 21, 2018.
- The Bill Press Show with guest Joe Cirincione, Bill Press Show, April 19, 2018.
- The Bill Press Show with guest Joe Cirincione, Bill Press Show, March 27, 2018.
- Can we stop the nuclear arms race?, ABC Australia Radio, March 12, 2018.
- North and South Korea agree to talks, Trump invited, MSNBC, March 8, 2018.
- Interview on Putin and Russia, CBC News, March 1, 2018.
- Olympic Update: What's more boring - Curling or Mike Pence?, Deep State Radio, February 15, 2018.
- No Kittens Were Harmed In the Making of this Episode, Deep State Radio, February 13, 2018.
- Episode 98: Nuclear Weapons, Civics 101: A Podcast, February 9, 2018.
- Today’s Top Five Nuclear Threats - Joseph Cirincione, CNS at the Middlebury Institute of International Security at Monterey, February 8, 2018.
- MSNBC Live with Alex Witt, MSNBC, February 3, 2018.
- Cirincione speaks on the Iran Nuclear Deal, Oklahoma State University, February 1, 2018.
- The Bill Press Show with guest Joe Cirincione, Bill Press Show, January 22, 2018.
- Pentagon Report Expands Justifications For Use Of Nuclear Weapons, WBEZ Worldview with Jerome McDonnell, January 18, 2018.
- President Trump included on list of top nuclear threats, MSNBC’s AM Joy, December 30, 2017.
- The Bill Press Show with guest Joe Cirincione, Bill Press Show, December 14, 2017.
- North Korean Missiles and their New Ability, City Voice Podcast, November 30, 2017.
- North Korea missile test puts Washington, D.C. in attack range, The Rachel Maddow Show on MSNBC, November 28, 2017.
- The Bill Press Show with guest Joe Cirincione, Bill Press Show, November 21, 2017.
- Trump deluded on missile defense accuracy, MSNBC, October 13, 2017.
- Trump: Iran hasn't lived up to spirit of nuclear deal, The 11th Hour with Brian Williams on MSNBC, October 5, 2017.
- Joe Madison w/ Joe Cirincione: Threat of Nuclear War, Joe Madison the Black Eagle on SiriusXM, September 28, 2017.
- The Ramifications Of Going Nuclear, WBUR On Point, September 26, 2017.
- Trump dangerous bellicosity raises nuclear war risk with N. Korea, The Rachel Maddow Show on MSNBC, September 25, 2017.
- Joe Cirincione on Kim Jong-un's response to Donald Trump's UN speech, The 11th Hour with Brian Williams on MSNBC, September 21, 2017.
- President Trump’s Surprise Deal With Congressional Democrats And Understanding The North Korean Threat, The Diane Rehm Show, September 8, 2017.