Director of Marketing & Communications
Ploughshares Fund is a public grantmaking foundation that seeks to reduce and ultimately eliminate the threat posed by nuclear weapons. Our vision is a world where nuclear weapons can never be used again. We fund and coordinate individuals and organizations domestically and abroad that create solutions, drive policy and build grassroots support for a world free from the dangers of nuclear weapons.
We are currently seeking a full-time, San Francisco-based Director of Marketing & Communications to provide vision and leadership to help the organization expand its reach and impact. The Director will be a key player in a team effort to engage more individual donors, expand the Ploughshares Fund community, and strengthen our organization’s profile and brand.
The Director of Marketing & Communications – working in close collaboration and in support of other senior department directors – sets, guides and manages the overall external communications activity and approach of Ploughshares Fund. Supervising a team of two professionals in our San Francisco office, the Director will be responsible for the development and production of promotional collateral targeting existing and potential donors, the organization’s website, digital and social media efforts, brand reputation and enhancement, crisis communications, and external message coordination.
The Director is a member of the organization’s senior leadership – which is also comprised of the President, the Executive Director/Chief Operating Officer, and other heads of key departments (development, policy, program and finance). The Director of Marketing & Communications reports to the Executive Director/COO.
The Director of Marketing & Communication’s primary responsibility will be to work closely with, and in support of, the Director of Development to enhance and improve fundraising results. In addition, the Director will have direct responsibility for managing efforts to increase the visibility of the organization among various constituency and affinity groups with a view to expanding and engaging our large digital community of supporters and friends, who are not yet donors. The Director of Marketing & Communications will also act as an advocate for preserving and enhancing Ploughshares Fund’s considerable goodwill and well-regarded organizational brand, which could include as needed crisis communications activity. Finally, the Director will provide, when needed, assistance in the development and execution of the organization’s program, advocacy and policy work, which will at times require production of additional collateral material and activities, as well as working with journalists and the media.
Desirable traits include experience and comfort working collaboratively with a diverse array of staff in a fast-paced environment. The Director must be highly adept at responding to changing trends and political climate, while maintaining the strategic vision and profile of the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree is a plus.
- Minimum five years of experience managing successful mission-driven communications programs with strong emphasis on leveraging communications for marketing.
- Excellent copywriting and copyediting skills. Comfortable accepting feedback and writing in a collaborative and professional manner.
- Track record of defining, positioning, differentiating and building strong brands.
- Demonstrated record working with new and traditional media. Experience in successfully utilizing social media to engage stakeholders including membership groups, media, policymakers and donors.
- Excellent project management skills and team-oriented approach.
- Functional knowledge of media databases, web management platforms, e-mail marketing programs and industry standard copyediting tools. Design knowledge and skills a plus.
- Outstanding oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Extensive network of media and journalist contacts a plus.
- Willingness to be on-call during crisis communication periods and attend special events, some of which may occur in the evening or on weekends.
- Periodic travel required.
- Salary Range — $75,000 to $80,000 annual with excellent benefits
Please submit a cover letter, resume and one to two-page writing sample to Adela Jones, firstname.lastname@example.org. Given the volume of applications, we will directly contact candidates if selected for an interview. To learn more about our organization, please visit our website, www.ploughshares.org.
Ploughshares Fund is headquartered in San Francisco, with an office in Washington, D.C. This position is full-time only. Compensation is linked to experience, but will not exceed $80,000. Ploughshares Fund offers a full range of benefits, including health insurance, a retirement matching plan, paid sick leave and vacation time.
Ploughshares Fund is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply.