Joseph Cirincione is President of Ploughshares Fund, a global security foundation. He is the author of Bomb Scare: The History and Future of Nuclear Weapons and Deadly Arsenals: Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Threats. He is a member of Secretary of State John Kerry's International Security Advisory Board and the Council on Foreign Relations.
His commentary has been featured in The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times, The Boston Globe, The Philadelphia Inquirer, The Financial Times, Kyodo News, Moscow Times, Foreign Policy, The Hill, Daily Beast, and Huffington Post. He has appeared on ABC News, NBC News, CBS News, PBS, MSNBC, Fox News, BBC News, Australian Broadcasting Coporation, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, NHK, Russia Today, and Al Jazeera.
Cirincione worked for nine years in the U.S. House of Representatives on the professional staff of the Committee on Armed Services and the Committee on Government Operations. He is the author of hundreds of articles on nuclear weapons issues, the producer of two DVDs, a frequent commentator in the media, and he appeared in the films, Countdown to Zero and Why We Fight. He previously served as Vice President for National Security and International Policy at the Center for American Progress and Director for Nonproliferation at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. He has held positions at the Henry L. Stimson Center, the U.S. Information Agency and the Center for Strategic and International Studies. He teaches at the graduate School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University.
- Alaskan Folly - Foreign Policy (March 18, 2013)
- Obama's Nuclear Future - Foreign Affairs (March 6, 2013)
- Obama's Turn On Nuclear Weapons - Foreign Affairs (February 3, 2012)
- How to Shave a Bundle off the Deficit: Spend Less on Nukes - The Atlantic (July 13, 2011)
- Strategic Turn: New U.S. and Russian Views on Nuclear Weapons - New America Strategy Program Paper (June 29, 2011)
- A Man with a Clear Conscience - The American Prospect (June 13, 2011)
- The Nuclear Pivot: Change and Continuity in American Nuclear Policy - RUSI Journal (June 2010)
- Taking the Field: Obama's Nuclear Reforms - Survival (April 2010)
- The Impact of Nuclear Posture on Non-Proliferation - In the Eyes of the Experts (2009)
- 5 Myths About Iran's Nuclear Program - The Washington Post (Oct. 18, 2009)
- Building a World WIthout Nukes - The Guardian (Sept. 24, 2009)
- The Obama Transformation: Can it Succeed? - Security Index (Summer 2009)
- U.S. Nuclear Policy: The Open Window for Transformation - Harvard International Review (Spring 2009)
- Bush's Very Dangerous Deal - Newsweek (Dec. 31, 2008)
- Need Cash? Cut the Nuclear Weapons Budget - The Boston Globe (Dec. 3, 2008)
- Strategic Collapse: The Failure of the Bush Nuclear Doctrine - Arms Control Today (Nov. 2008)
- The Greatest Threat to Us All - The New York Review of Books (March 6, 2008)
Get the latest