Ploughshares Fund partners with the most promising efforts to realize the ultimate elimination of nuclear weapons.
We give grants that:
- Promote the Elimination of Nuclear Weapons. Building a consensus among the world’s leaders creates a global norm against nuclear weapons and increases the momentum toward zero. Along the way, concrete steps to limit and reduce current arsenals must be realized as well.
- Prevent the Emergence of New Nuclear States. We focus on the two most significant threats to the global nonproliferation regime – Iran and North Korea. We believe that, though difficult, solutions are possible through effective diplomacy and engagement grounded in well-informed and strategic analysis. Ploughshares Fund is investing significant resources over the next year on a special Iran Campaign that will promote non-military solutions to the Iran case.
- Build Regional Peace and Security. South Asia represents perhaps the most dangerous region on earth given the long-standing conflict between India and Pakistan and the fact that both nations possess substantial nuclear arsenals. Our investments support fact-finding missions, on-the-ground analysis, high-level dialogue, confidence-building measures, policy advocacy and media outreach to advance the transformation of conflicts in South and Southwest Asia.
We also amplify and coordinate the work of our grantees to
- Develop winning strategies that push forward the vision of a nuclear-weapons free world
- Bring together experts, analysts, lobbyists and activists to create and win shared campaigns
- Build a bipartisan legislative consensus for eliminating nuclear weapons
- Expand the public’s knowledge and catalyze public support for the elimination of nuclear weapons
Get the latest
Join our email list for news, information and events.
Ambassador Steven Pifer
As a former Ambassador to Ukraine and a world class expert on arms control, Steven Pifer of the Brookings Institute has served as a leading interpreter of the current crisis in Ukraine and its possible ramifications for the wider arms control agenda... Read Steve's analysis on CNN.com
Our #nuclear notes playlist in honor of #recordstoreday. Thanks to all who helped give us suggestions! http://t.co/qJp4SEOtb5 — 11 hours 56 min ago
On our blog: The Staying Power of Vinyl… And Nukes http://t.co/LSLc6PIoJc — 12 hours 1 min ago
RT @peacedayphilly: Wed., April 23, 12-1:30 PM, FREE - JOSEPH CIRINCIONE, PRESIDENT, PLOUGHSHARES FUND, will speak to "Solving... http://t.… — 15 hours 9 min ago