Partners in Creating a Peaceful World
“I like to think that Ploughshares Fund and I are partners, connected by core values and sharing a vision of a peaceful world. Ploughshares is the first gift check I write each year.”
—Irene Weigel, Lincoln, MA – donor since 1989
Your support makes an impact!
- In 2010, Ploughshares Fund led more than fifty groups in a campaign to ratify the New START treaty, winning a major bipartisan victory for nuclear arms reductions of U.S. and Russia’s arsenals.
- During the fallout from 9/11, Ploughshares Fund efforts prevented reactionary proposals to expand the nation’s nuclear arsenal by blocking passage of funding for the Robust Nuclear Earth Penetrator (RNEP) in 2005 and the Reliable Replacement Warhead (RRW) in 2009.
- Proving that genies can be put back in their bottles, our early and sustained funding of the International Campaign against Landmines and other small arms groups ensured the success of international treaties to outlaw chemical weapons and landmines.
- After the fall of the Berlin Wall, support from Ploughshares Fund helped foster the first network of civil society groups in the U.S. and Russia, resulting in citizen oversight of nuclear programs, regulation at nuclear sites and increased environmental protection.
- Our landmark support of the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) in the 1980s enabled scientists to definitively demonstrate that a nuclear test ban could be verified, clearing the way for the 1992 moratorium on nuclear testing in the U.S. and the eventual ratification of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty.
THE PLOUGHSHARES COUNCIL
Want to understand nuclear issues at a deeper level and make a big impact at the same time? The Ploughshares Council partners with Ploughshares Fund to provide core support to some of the world’s smartest nuclear policy experts, analysts and advocates. Become a part of our most important support network. Learn More